Congressional App Challenge
Each year, students from Louisiana’s 5th Congressional District may create and submit their original apps for a chance to win the Congressional App Challenge (CAC). This challenge is sponsored by Members of the U.S. House of Representatives to encourage middle school and high school students to learn how to code and inspire them to pursue careers in computer science.
The winner from the 5th Congressional District will be chosen by a panel of judges. The winner will be recognized by Congresswoman Letlow, have their work put on display in the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., along with other winners from across the country and featured on the House of Representatives website. Winning students will also be invited to the #HouseofCode Capitol Hill Reception in Washington.
The district-wide competition takes place from June 24, 2021, to November 1, 2021. Pre-registration is currently open.
The CAC was created because Congress recognizes how essential computer science and STEM skills are for economic growth and innovation, and that the U.S. is currently experiencing a dearth of adequately trained technical talent. The CAC aims to bridge the gender, geographic, and racial gaps in tech by building the domestic pipeline of future tech innovators.
By some estimates, there are nearly a quarter of a million unfilled programming jobs in the US. The CAC is a congressional effort to maintain American competitiveness, by proactively inspiring our youth and encouraging them to pursue these crucial skills.
The CAC is executed by Congressman Letlow’s office and is coordinated by the Congressional Internet Caucus and the non-governmental sponsor of the project, the Internet Education Foundation.
- Students may use any platform (PC, web, tablet, robot, mobile, etc.).
- There are NO LIMITS on the application theme or topic!
- Students must be a middle or high school student at the time of app submission.
- Students must either:
- Reside in Louisiana’s 5th Congressional District, or
- Attend school in Louisiana’s 5th Congressional District.
- A student may only compete once per year, and in only one Congressional district holding the Challenge.
- Students may compete as individuals or in teams of up to four.
- If competing as a team: at least two of the teammates must be eligible to compete within Louisiana’s 5th Congressional District.
Click here for a complete set of rules.
How to participate
Pre-registration is currently open at https://www.congressionalappchallenge.us/students/
The 2021 Congressional App Challenge will launch on June 24th, 2021. Students can enter their apps between then and November 1st, 2021. For questions, please reach out to Rep. Letlow’s Monroe office at 318-570-6440.