Military Academy Nominations
Attending A Service Academy
Congresswoman Letlow is honored to nominate outstanding individuals from Louisiana's Fifth District to attend our nation's service academies. The admissions process at these institutions is highly competitive, very rigorous, and unlike any other in higher education. Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- The U.S. Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, New York;
- The U.S. Naval Academy (USNA) at Annapolis, Maryland;
- The U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA) at Colorado Springs, Colorado;
- The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) at Kings Point, New York.
Please note that the nation's fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) at New London, Connecticut, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
The Congresswoman may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
The application period for the 2022-2023 academic year has closed. Please check back for deadlines for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Every applicant must meet the specific nomination eligibility requirements listed below. Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants. For more detailed information, including eligibility and application requirements, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Nomination Eligibility Requirements
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 5th Congressional District of Louisiana.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
Any applications that need to be mailed must be postmarked by Friday, October 29 and addressed to our Northeast Louisiana District Office.
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview. Candidates who are scheduled for an interview must sit for an interview with Congresswoman Letlow's academy nominations board to be considered for a nomination from the office. Interviews are mandatory, and each candidate will be given the opportunity to select an interview time. Applicants may not request their interviews be rescheduled. An interview will only be rescheduled for a documented family illness or emergency.
If you have any questions about the service academy nomination process, please contact Congresswoman Letlow's Service Academy Coordinator, Ramona Martin via email at email@example.com or call (318) 570-6440